Sunday, January 16, 2011

Trip from Colorado to New Mexico



I love hot springs pools. I've been to the most of them in Colorado. My favorites so far are Pagosa Springs, Glenwood Springs and Mount Princeton. I've heard a lot of good about Steamboat hot springs. It's a bit out of our way, but when the occassion arrises we'll take a drive and sample the Steamboat water.
In December my husband and I found some free time and decided to visit Ojo Caliente, New Mexico for the first time. Drive time from Colorado Springs, CO is aproximately 5 hours. Ojo Caliente hot springs resort is located in a secluded valley high in the rocky deserts of Northern New Mexico.
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs undoubtedly was a sacred therapeutic area long before the Spaniards arrived there. As well, they claim to be the oldest hot springs in North America. What makes this place different from many other hot springs is a combination of four unique minerals that well up with the waters in this area. Guests can choose between natural springs with lithium, iron, soda and arsenic. My favorite was an iron pool. Not so much for the iron itself, but the evening temperature was a chilly 14 degrees outside and this pool had a very comfortable water temperature to be in while outside. I also tried out the arsenic steam room - I enjoyed it a lot! I was also hoping to get into some mud, but unfortunately the mud bath was empty.
The thing that struck me the most was the number of stars I could see in the sky. I think there were millions of them, literally. I love stargazing, and I do it often during the summer in Colorado. But that night in Ojo Caliente was the most spectacular night sky ever! I felt like I've never seen the night sky before.
Ojo Caliente was a pleasure to visit and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This is one little trip I would recommend to anyone who likes hot springs. We definitely enjoyed neighboring New Mexico - it was full of fun and lots of relaxation.

In Taos, New Mexico


No comments:

Post a Comment